Like most things in life, coming up with ideas for the news section of your website gets easier with practice. To get started, it can be helpful to think about the different types of news that your company generates. Typically, these will include:
- Company news. A new contract, entering a new market, collaborating with a new business partner, winning an award, increasing staff numbers, experiencing a surge in demand for your products or services — all of these are potential news stories that could be of interest to your clients and/or customers.
- New appointments. News of new appointments to your board of directors or senior leadership team will be of interest to your customers, business partners, employees and shareholders.
- Sponsorships and CSR activity. News of your company’s sponsorships and participation in corporate social responsibility initiatives will be of interest to your customers, employees, community and other stakeholders.
- Seasonal tips and advice. Many businesses have expertise that is relevant at particular times of the year. From career advice for recent graduates to tips on getting your car ready for a cold winter — whatever your firm’s particular expertise, it’s a good idea to think about seasonal opportunities to issue relevant press releases.
- Comment and insight. There is no shortage of new regulations, statistics and Government reports in the news each week. Your insights into the potential impact of these developments will be of interest not only to your customers but also to journalists who want to understand the impact on particular industries or individuals. Even if your press release does not get picked up when issued, a journalist may come across it and contact you the next time they cover the particular issue.
Remember, whether you are sharing company news, insights or seasonal tips, the key is to focus on what your readers will find helpful and interesting.
For more on this topic, see How to generate content ideas.